June 26, 2008

The Ghost at Westover Plantation


While visiting the beautiful Westover Plantation I took a short walk to the cemetary where the Byrd family is buried. I had read about the tragic love story of Evelyn Byrd and wanted to see her tomb. While standing there taking photos "something" brushed my arm. I thought it was a spider web and went to brush it away only to find nothing was there. I commented to my husband that Evelyn must have touched me. Is the place haunted. I would say YES to this one.


Story of Evelyn Byrd
(Taken from the Internet)

This stately plantation is said to be haunted by the lovely, Evelyn Byrd. Miss Byrd, was born in 1707. She was the daughter of William Byrd II.

Mr. Byrd was a very prominent statesmen during the colonial era. He was an advisor to the governor of Virginia and the founder of the city of Richmond, to name just a couple of his jobs during his lifetieme.

Evelyn when she was young, was considered an intelligent child, but on the other hand she was also considered to be spoiled. Although, Evelyn has been dead for over 250 years, many witnesses have reported seeing her at Westover.

When Evelyn turned 10 years old, her father sent her to England to be schooled. It was here that Evelyn fell in love with a man, many historians believe to be, Charles Morduant. But her father was adamantly against the relationship.

He ventured as far as telling Evelyn,
QUOTE
as to any expectation you may fondly entertain of a fortune from me, you are not to look for one brass farthing...Nay besides all that I will avoid the sight of you as of a creature detested.


So with heaviness of heart and reluctantly, Evelyn returned to Westover in 1726, forgetting the romance. But William Byrd would live to regret his decision. Because in 1737, Evelyn Byrd, many say died of a broken heart.

Evelyn has been spotted at Westover over the years. The first time was in about 1738, when Evelyn's dear friend, Anne Harrison, saw Evelyn walking towards her in the gardens of Westover.

Another relative of the Byrds, committed suicide here in 1777. William Byrd III was distressed over financial matters and committed suicide at Westover sitting in his favorite chair in his bedroom.

The first wife of William Byrd III, Elizabeth, was killed at Westover when a heavy cabinet fell on top of her, crushing her to death.

It is said that William Byrd III can still be seen at Midnight slumping over his favorite chair in his old bedroom. Elizabeth, it is said, you can hear her wailing still echoing through the halls of Westover, still awaiting for someone to help her.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger historywoman said...

I had a strange experience in the garden near William Byrd's memorial. It was sunset and I was there with one other person, no-one else was around. We were both walking along the garden path, very quiet because we were tired. We were both wearing jeans. And I suddenly had a sense that someone was watching us, and that she was bemused by us. I felt, rather than heard, a young woman say, "How odd they look!"

I decided I was just tired, but later I checked it with my friend. She had had a strange feeling of being watched at the same time.

8/27/09, 5:00 PM  
Blogger historywoman said...

I had a strange experience in the garden near William Byrd's memorial. It was sunset and I was there with one other person, no-one else was around. We were both walking along the garden path, very quiet because we were tired. We were both wearing jeans. And I suddenly had a sense that someone was watching us, and that she was bemused by us. I felt, rather than heard, a young woman say, "How odd they look!"

I decided I was just tired, but later I checked it with my friend. She had had a strange feeling of being watched at the same time

8/27/09, 5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home