September 13, 2009

Haunted Town

Do you think an entire town can be haunted? Well, according to what I have been reading on the Internet the town of Atchison Kansas is.

In fact the Travel Channel has done a special segment called Haunted Town that depicts many of the haunted places in Atchison, including Sallie's House, Benedictine College, and more.

Some of the reports I've read include Atchison Street where a woman once lost control of her horses plunging into the river and drowning. It is said that her voice can be heard calling to those who are walking along the river to come join her.

At Jackson Park an area called Molly’s Hollow where couples go to "park." Is haunted by a young woman named Molly who was found hanging in a tree. Her killer was never found. In addition to Molly’s chilling cries, many witnesses also claim to have seen a ghostly figure hanging in the tree where her body was discovered.

A Kearny & 5th Street Home is said to be haunted by a friendly ghost. Not only has the ghost been known to help the gentleman owner into his over coat, but the lady of the house while out of town commented that she would love a cup of tea. When she arrived home, she found a cup, saucer, tea bag, and spoon were sitting on the counter and the tea kettle was on.

A North 2nd Street house is know as Sallie's, the Heartland Ghost home.– Sallie, the “Heartland Ghost,” is said to haunt this house that once belonged to a local doctor. The tale of Sallie’s ghost has been featured three times on the popular 1990’s paranormal television show Sightings, as well as Unexplained Mysteries. Sallie is a six year old child that died in the house. For more information on this house visit The Sallie House

To learn more about the town of Atchison Kansas Visit here

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Sharon Day said...

Cool post! I have to admit, when I was doing my study on haunted places around the US and finding commonalities, Atchison was an ideal setting--perfect geology, waterways, and tons of criss-crossing train tracks.

9/13/09, 4:54 PM  
Blogger MoxieMamaKC said...

As someone who lives close to Atchison...it's true blue. My dad went to St. Benedict's College (now Benedictine)and he told me of strange things that happened there. I played softball once there and there is definitely a weird feeling in that town (even before I knew of it's "fame"). I've also had the absolute pleasure and honor to meet the former owners of the Sallie House. I've never been to the house, but I can tell you that the husband from that family is absolutely touched by what happened there. He has an AMAZING gift of sight. When I visited with him, he told me things about the museum that I work for that he absolutely could not have known with having dug through the family's personal archives which is impossible unless you're a staff member. I believe their story. I hated the commercially over-hyped "ghost sites", but I think the Sallie House has to be real.

9/13/09, 10:41 PM  
Blogger Coach Z said...

How fun!! What a great blog!!! Smiles

9/20/09, 2:57 PM  
Blogger Courtney Mroch said...

I have seen that on Travel Channel, Patty. But I'd forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder! It also made fora good Tweet on Twitter and link post to share On Haunt Jaunts Facebook fan page! (BTW, did you change your tag? If not then my bad for not noticing before how cute it is...I love it! Like in Peter Pan: "I do believe in fairies..." LOVE IT!)

9/21/09, 4:09 PM  
Blogger Kim Campbell said...

Been there! beautiful town!! ANd yes, I do believe, because recently a town in Illinois was voted this as well.

9/30/09, 7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home