April 14, 2010

Spooky Places

As you know I always try and find the most haunted area's of Gettysburg to visit (which is almost everywhere in Gettysburg) and since I had to stay an extra few days due to some health problems my husband had, I opted for a night at the Colton Motel. While this is not one of the best motel's in town, it was clean and cheap. It is also suppose to be haunted. This motel sits where the left flank of Pickett's Charge took place on the third and final day of the battle. 12,000 men marched shoulder to shoulder and some of the bloodiest fighting took place where the motel now stands.  It is also directly across the street from the National Cemetery and Evergreen Cemetery.Some of  stories that have been reported from this motel claim that showers turn on by themselves, doors lock, beds mysteriously turn down, photo have been taken by guest that show full blown Confederate Soldiers, and even on guest has reported that she saw a Confederate Soldier in her room about three A.M. He was standing in the bathroom doorway where she had left the light on all night. According to the story she woke up freezing cold and when she went to turn off the air (which is just outside the bathroom door) she saw him. As soon as she turned on the light he was gone.
Also mysterious fogs have been seen outside some rooms near the office. (We were next to the office)
While we did not experience any of these things our-self, it does leave me curious enough that I plan on booking this motel again.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Julie Ferguson said...

It's too bad you didn't experience anything, maybe next time.

4/14/10, 11:10 AM  
Blogger Bethie said...

Cool! You know the neighborhood I live in had both revolutionary war and civil war activity. The old O'hara house was used as a cw hospital. Anyway, there is apparently a "new" home here were they have seen cw soldiers apparitions in their den area. I wish I could find out which one.

4/14/10, 1:22 PM  
Blogger Jessica Penot said...

I love haunted hotels. It's too bad you didn't see anything, but maybe next time.

4/14/10, 7:56 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

I just think it's kind of sad that a motel sits on that hallowed ground but alas ...

Perhaps next time you'll see your own Confederate soldier though it would probably scare me enough to not sleep anymore after I did!

4/14/10, 9:09 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Ohhh those are pretty neat accounts of people's experiences! Too bad you didn't have an experience, perhaps (hopefully?)next time. In January my husband & I stayed in Gettystown Inn, also just across the street from the National Cemetery. We stayed in the Lincoln suite, & in our room there was a guest book full of previous guests' experiences inside our very room. Not a bump, or sound that couldn't be explained during our stay..but that seems to be the case in EVERY reportedly haunted hotel we've stayed in.

4/16/10, 10:01 PM  
Blogger Courtney Mroch said...

Very col, Patti! I love haunted hotels, motels, B&Bs...basically, if it's got the potential to be a spooky stay, the better. Neat place to know in case I do finally get to Haunt Jaunt up to Gettysburg one of these days. Thanks for sharing! You let me virtually HJ through you!

4/20/10, 2:23 PM  
Anonymous Joyce Lavene said...

Great pictures! I like the term Casper Chasers! I've been to many of these places and there is definitely something there.

Joyce Lavene
A Timely Vision
Paranormal Mystery

4/26/10, 5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home