June 10, 2010

A visit to Antietam Battlefield

Like Gettysburg Antietam Battlefield in Sharpsburg Maryland saw it's share of death. The battle claimed more than 23,000 men killed, wounded, and missing in one single day, September 17,1862
I had heard stories of hauntings so I wanted to see it for myself
Some claim that Dunker Church is haunted by soldiers

One of the most impressive areas of the battlefield is an area called Sunken Road or Bloody Lane,
Things like gun fire, have been heard. Smoke has been smelled and voices heard in this area.
Farmers had used this road to travel and on the day of battle Confederate General Hill placed all of his men (about 2,600) on this road. When the Union Army arrived with 5,000 men the fighting was so horrific that the
It was told that the Blood was literally "flowing like a river". This battle was one of the bloodiest battles fought at Antietam. More than 5,000 men lost there lives here.

Another area of the battlefield famous for being haunting is Burnside Bridge

Sounds of phantom drums have been heard here, along with blue lights near the bridge at night.

Other places on the battlefield with reports of hauntings include the Pry house.

This home was used by General McClellan as his headquarters during the battle. General Hooker was also brought here and treated of wounds he recieved in the battle as was General Israel B. Richardson, Richardson died 6 months later in this house from his wounds.
Reports here include seeing a woman in old fashioned clothing walking down the stairs. Footsteps have also been heard going up and down the stairs and faces in the window of a woman.
It is a fact that General Richaardson wife came and took care of him on his death bed. Could this be her?
We will never know, but I left Antietam knowing I had visited yet another haunted battlefield.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Les Barr said...

Well, Patty, I see that the place has not changed really at all since I was there a number of years ago. I, also, thought that it was a very interesting place of History to visit. Would not mind going back there someday, but this time I'll try doing it at night. Something that I've never done before.

Les

6/10/10, 5:10 PM  
Blogger Sharon Day said...

How cool! I've always wanted to go there cause I was born September 17, 1962!!! The 100-year anniversary! I always wondered if something amazing would happen if I went there. It's really beautiful.

6/10/10, 6:21 PM  
Anonymous Courtney Mroch said...

Oh these pictures are MARVELOUS, Patty. I am so, so, so hoping I get to go there this August. Trying to make it happen.

6/10/10, 7:26 PM  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Oh I bet you had a grand time. Sometime I think people who lives on East coast are so lucky being closer to later history.
Idaho wasn't even a state during the civil war.

Coffee is on.

6/10/10, 9:45 PM  
Blogger Jessica Penot said...

Amazing pictures. It looks like you had a great trip.

6/10/10, 10:13 PM  
Blogger Julie Ferguson said...

Love the pictures and history of the place. I hope to get the opportunity to visit there someday.

6/11/10, 6:40 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Your pictures are wonderful! Antietam is one of my favorite battles, for the role the Irish Brigade. The ghost stories are pretty great too! I'm ashamed to say that we live so close and have yet to visit. I've dropped several hints to my husband that I'd like to visit for our upcoming Anniversary!

6/22/10, 1:21 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

How creepy! I would love to visit some haunted places...if I see any when we move to Japan, I'll send you some pics!

7/20/10, 7:08 PM  
Blogger Expat Barbie said...

i must say this is a WONDERFUL idea for a blog -- and i love your blog name.

i'm so happy i stumbled on this -- definitely an area of interest for me, and i'm enjoying your writing :)

7/27/10, 2:47 AM  
Blogger DirtyMorb said...

Your blog is great man!! nice photos

8/26/10, 7:42 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Seems like an interesting place to explore - love that bridge!

8/28/10, 1:03 AM  
Blogger mudpies said...

have visited Gettysburg,and would love to go back. would like to see more postings.
so interesting.

12/14/10, 9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home